Graduation: What you need to know!
- Side BarCommencement Event Schedule
- Check List: Make sure you are ready!
- Cap & Gown: Student Store
- Graduating with Honors?
- Eligible to Graduate List
- Rehearsal and Commencement Exercise Information
- Family and Friends
- Commencement Speaker
- DVD Info. / LIVE Broadcast / HD Youtube Video
Thursday, May 14th @ 3pm
MANDATORY for students that wish to participate in commencement
Thursday, May 14th @ 7pm
Only nursing students participate in this ceremony.
|Line Up & Take Photos
Friday, May 15th @ 5:30 pm
B-Wing by Admissions
The order in which students will line up will not be determined by their order during practice.
Friday, May 15th @ 7:00 pm
Guest Speaker: Kelly Dyer Fry
- Get the application for graduation from the Office of Admissions & fill it out. If you are unable to come to campus, call 580-477-7717 and request that the Graduation Packet be mailed to you.
- If you plan to participate in the commencement ceremony on May 15th, visit the WOSC bookstore to get your cap & gown.
- Attend commencement practice on Thurs. May 14th at 3pm in the WOSC Gym.
- Arrive for commencement by 5:30pm for pictures.
- Diploma's will be mailed to students 4-6 weeks after graduation!
Note: Students that will complete their degree this summer can expect their diploma 4-6 weeks after they have finished their class(es).
Back to the Student Store webpage
- Psi Beta students need to see John Phelan for cords.
- Phi Theta Kappa students need to see Misty George for cords and stoles.
Please review the list below and check your name and degree for errors. If there is an issue with spelling or your degree is not listed correctly, please contact the Office of Admissions (580) 477-7717. This list shows how your name will appear in the commencement program as well as on your diploma once your degree has been granted.
Note: If your name is listed below, it means that you have completed your application for graduation. It DOES NOT guarantee that you will receive a degree from Western Oklahoma State College. It only means that you are elibigle to participate in graduation and, pending Registrar approval, will be granted the degree listed next to your name.
REHEARSAL – Graduates are expected to be present on Thursday, May 14th, 2015, at 3:00pm in the Western Oklahoma State College gymnasium for rehearsal of the commencement exercise. Rehearsal should be completed around 5pm.
ASSEMBLING – Students will meet in the B-wing at 5:30 pm on Friday, May 15, 2015, and line up in the B-wing after pictures are completed.
ALIGNING – The unofficial honor graduates will be at the front of the aligned graduates. Graduates not attending the rehearsal will be aligned in assigned seats at the time we line up.
ENTRANCE, SEATING, EXITING – The graduates will enter behind the college faculty and will be seated on the basketball court in the Western Oklahoma State College gymnasium. Please attempt to maintain a 5-6 foot interval between you and the person you enter and exit behind. The faculty will also exit in front of the graduates.
REMOVAL OF CAPS DURING THE INVOCATION AND BENEDICTION The male graduates will remove their caps during the invocation and benediction. (Pending administration determination.)
WEARING OF THE CAP AND GOWN – Please wear the cap flat (horizontal to the floor), and not on the back of the head. The tassel is worn on the right and is not changed until instructed to do so by President Birdine.
**Males are requested to wear dress pants, a buttoned-up collared dress shirt with or without a tie (no knit shirts, logos, or distinguishing marks, please), and dress shoes. Females are requested to wear a dress, skirt and blouse, or full-length dress pants and blouse with some type of dress shoe. Please do not wear t-shirts, sleeveless shirts, see-through fabrics, shorts, tennis shoes, or sandals. Do not wear corsages on gowns.
MUSICAL CHORD FOR KEYING OF CERTAIN GROUP MOVEMENTS During the rehearsal, emphasis will be placed on certain musical chords for the graduates and college faculty to respond to. Graduates should pay special attention to these chords during rehearsal in order to know when and how to respond during commencement.
INTRODUCTION OF EACH GRADUATE – At commencement practice, a card will be provided to each graduate to write his or her name on. The graduate should write their name exactly as they desire it to be announced. The IFA president will read each graduate’s name as they cross the stage to receive the diploma cover. The cards will be maintained in order of introductions for the photographer’s use in the assembling and packaging of photos.
DISTRIBUTION OF DIPLOMAS AND CERTIFICATES – Diplomas will be mailed after graduation (provided the student has completed an application for the degree and has met all requirements for that degree).
CAPS AND GOWNS ARE AVAILABLE AT THE COLLEGE BOOK STORE. COST ON ALL SIZES. IF A SPECIAL SIZE IS NEEDED, PLEASE CONTACT THE STUDENT STORE AT 580-477-7744 AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AS IT WILL NEED TO BE ORDERED.
- There will be a video streaming link on the top of the WOSC website the evening of the commencement ceremony. (Streaming provided by UStream.tv &/or Google Hangouts, and will depend on their services being available.)
- There will be a reception immediately following the ceremony in the MultiPurpose Center. (signs will be posted)
- Photos taken during the commencement ceremony will be available for purchase through Classic Photography (more info to come). Proofs will be sent to the e-mail address provided by the graduate.
Nursing Pinning & Lamp-lighting Practice
Wednesday, May 13th @ 9am-11pm
MANDATORY for all Nursing students.
Nursing Pinning & Lamp-lighting Ceremony
Thursday, May 14th @ 7pm
MANDATORY for all Nursing students. Students must be there by 6:15pm.
Pinning & Lamp-lighting Reception
Thursday, May 14th
Immediately following ceremony
Kelly Dyer Fry
Kelly is the editor of The Oklahoman and the VP of News for Oklahoma Publishing Company (OPUBCO) Communications Group.