Back to Top

Please check the COVID-19 webpage and social media for updates.

Grade Options Spring 2020 Only

Grade Options Spring 2020 Only

Additional Grading Options for In-Progress Spring 2020 Classes
COVID-19 Pandemic

As a result of changes in instructional delivery due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Western is changing its grading policy for Spring 2020. Western’s policies follow the recent guidance from the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education. This procedure pertains only to Spring 2020 courses that are in progress. Courses that ended March 12 or before will be graded following previously established grading policies.


Grade Option-Grade Change to S/U:

  • Western faculty will submit a letter grade for active spring courses by 10:00 am on May 17, 2020.
  • Students can elect to change from a standard letter grade for a Spring 2020 course to a Satisfactory (S) or Unsatisfactory (U) grade option. Students can make the decision on a course-by-course basis.
  • Any student requesting a change must go through the grade change process. Students must inform the college of his/her request to change to S/U grades for any course(s) by 4:30 pm on June 1, 2020 which is fourteen (14) days following the submission of grades. Students must contact the Director of Academic Support at 580-477-7926 to discuss this grade change option.
    • Grades of A, B, C, or D may be changed to a S
    • Grades of F may be changed to a U
  • Once a student elects to change from a standard letter grade to S/U, the student cannot later request the grade to be reversed to the original standard letter grade.
  • Grades of S and U are grade neutral, but the credit hours associated with the course will count in hours attempted for retention. A grade of S will count in earned hours for graduation.
  • All courses for which students receive satisfactory grades will count toward degree requirements, which overrides some departmental or college policies.
  • This grading option is intended to provide a level of flexibility for our students as Western transitions to alternate delivery formats. Before electing this option, students should contact the Office of Financial Aid. Students should be aware that Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) calculations may change and affect eligibility to receive financial aid. Further, a change in GPA calculations may affect scholarship eligibility. Before electing this option, students should contact the Office of Academic Support. If students have questions on how the grade change may impact their grade point average, contact the Registrar’s Office. Students should be aware that changes may affect long-term considerations like eligibility for graduation, application/acceptance to professional programs or graduate school, and employment.

  • Note for Special Programs such as Nursing: It is important for faculty and students to realize that a grade of an S will NOT substitute for a minimum grade of C that is required for some courses such as Chemistry, Anatomy and Physiology. A grade of S is also not deemed passing in programs that require a minimum of C for course success and graduation. In these programs, students should keep a passing grade of an A, B, or C. If a student receives a D, he/she can request a grade change to an S which would not impact the student’s GPA. However, as mentioned previously this grade of S will not equate to passing a nursing course/leading to graduation. Students transferring in courses with a grade of S to a special program such as nursing can utilize these prerequisite courses, but this grade will count as a D on any pre-admission point system.


Grade Option-Withdraw (W) Extension:

Western encourages all students to work towards satisfactory course completion. However, if students are unable to complete the course and do not feel and S/U grade option is beneficial, they can choose to Withdraw (W) from a course. The automatic W deadline has been  extended to May 15 due to the COVID-19 pandemic which is the last day of the Spring 2020 semester. If students elect to receive a W, he/she must notify Admissions on or before May 15 to request a W.


Grade Option-Incomplete (I):

Western encourages all students to work towards satisfactory course completion. However, if students are unable to complete the course during the allotted time due to unforeseen circumstances, they can contact the course faculty and request an Incomplete (I). The grade of I is at the faculty’s discretion, but it cannot substitute for an F grade. The time limit to satisfy the incomplete requirements from the assigned I grade is the next long semester. However,  in extension can be granted by the Vice President for Academic Affairs upon request. It is in the best interest of the student to complete course work as fast as he/she is able.


Contact Information:

(580) 477-7926 - Academic Support - Melissa Smith
(580) 477-7717 - Admissions
(580) 477-7709 - Financial Aid