Back to Top

Please check the COVID-19 webpage and social media for updates.

Veterans Affairs

Western Seal



Please read all information in this packet – It will save you money and frustration!!
Western Oklahoma State College Veterans Affairs Office Hours
Monday - 7:30 am to 4:30 pm
Tuesday - 7:30 am to 9:30 am
Wednesday - 7:30 am to 4:30 pm
Thursday - Out of the office
Friday - Out of the office

Summer Hours: TBD

Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill ® ---(Active Duty, discharged/retired)
New students ___Complete VA form 22-1990 (Application ) OR Furnish a Certificate of Eligibility
Transfer student ____Complete VA form 22-1995 (Change of Program or Place of Training)
All students ___Copy of DD-214
___Request Official academic transcripts (including AARTS, SMARTS, & CCAF) sent to WOSC
___Request Transcript Evaluation in Admissions Office after all your transcripts are here.
___Complete VA form 21-686c (Declaration of Marital Status) if you are a 34/30 (Old GI Bill ®)
___Copy of your contract if you are eligible for a Chapter 30 kicker.
___Fill out a WOSC “Blue Card”
Chapter 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation: Must apply through the Veterans Administration
New students ___Complete VA form 28-1900 (Application) Submit to the Veterans Administration
All students ___Your VA Rehab Counselor must furnish us a VA form 22-1905 (This is their approval.)
___Copy of DD-214
___Request Official academic transcripts (including AARTS, SMARTS, & CCAF) sent to WOSC
___Fill out a WOSC “Blue Card”
Chapter 33 - Post-9/11 GI Bill ®
New students ___Complete VA form 22-1990 (Application) OR Furnish Certificate of Eligibility
Transfer students ___Complete VA form 22-1995 (Change of Program or Place of Training)
All students ___Copy of DD-214
___Request Official academic transcripts (including AARTS, SMARTS, & CCAF) sent to WOSC.
___Fill out WOSC “Blue Card”
Chapter 35 – Survivors & Dependents Educational Benefits (Service person must be 100%
permanently and totally disabled or deceased as a result of having served in the armed forces)
New student’s ___Application (VA form 22-5490) completed OR Furnish Certificate of Eligibility
Transfer students ___Complete (VA form 22-5495) Change of Place /Program
All students ___Copy of marriage license or birth certificate, as appropriate
___Request all academic transcripts from previous colleges/universities attended be sent to WOSC
___Fill out WOSC “Blue Card”
Chapters 1606 & 1607 – Montgomery G.I. Bill – Selected Reserves
New students ___Complete VA form 22-1990 (Application) OR Furnish Certificate of Eligibility
Transfer students ___Complete VA form 22-1995 (Change of Program or Place of Training)
All students ___Copy VA form DD-2384 (NOBE) Notice of Basic Eligibility: obtained from unit commander
___Request Official academic transcripts (including AARTS, SMARTS, & CCAF) sent to WOSC
___Copy of your contract if you are eligible for a Reserve Kicker
___Fill out WOSC “Blue Card” ____ (Chapter 1607: copy of DD214)
ADMISSIONS: Your GI Bill ® benefits do not pay for your tuition, fees, books, or supplies unless you are
a Chapter 31 (Rehab) student. You receive your GI Bill ® benefits because you are attending school. Therefore, you must
pay for your registration and enrollment expenses.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: When all your documentation is complete:
(1) Bring your documents to theVeterans Affairs Office located in Room SSC 205.
(2) Your enrollment will then be certified and submitted to the VA Regional Processing Office in Muskogee, OK.
You will only be certified and paid VA Education benefits for:
1. Degree applicable courses
2. Pre-requisites for degree applicable courses
3. Deficiency courses for which you have test scores indicating need for zero level courses
4. See Rounding Out in the Glossary of Terms for the only exception to 1, 2, & 3 above.
Your First Check!
(1) Chapter 30, 1606, & 1607 students must “Self Cert” monthly to receive their benefits or you may phone in your self cert.
(1-877-823-2378) Remember: Self Cert should be done the last day of each month.
(2) You should receive your first check within 6 to 8 weeks of certification or of the first day of class, wherever is later.
Remember: Your first and last check of a semester may be for a partial month.
(3) After your first semester of receiving your benefits, if you register and certify early and do not change your major or
place of training, your first check of a subsequent semester, should be received within 30 days of the first day of class.
(4) Basic rates of pay are attached. Updated rate charts are always available in the Veterans Affairs Office anytime
a change in the basic rates occur. Rates usually change on October 1 of any year.
(5) If you are still on active duty, you will only be eligible to draw an amount equivalent to tuition and fees and your
training time will be reduced. The amount you paid for tuition and fees (books are not included) will be divided by
the number of months in your enrollment period and your monthly benefit will be the amount of the tuition and fees
divided by the number of months in your enrollment period. Your training time will be reduced by the number of
weeks or months in your enrollment period.
Example: If you are still on Active Duty, and you are registered as a full time student:
tuition and fees cost $400 – your semester is 4 months long--you will receive $100 per
month and your training time reduced by 4 months. In contrast, a student NOT on
Active Duty who served 3 or more years active duty and contributed $1,200 toward
his/her GI Bill ® would receive $1,004 per month ($4,016) and their training time reduced
by 4 months.
(6) If you are enrolled less than half-time, you will only receive the equivalent of your tuition and fees.
Example: Enrollment in less than 6 hours in a 16-week semester is less than half time.

Items Required by Western Oklahoma State College:
You must be enrolled before we can certify you to receive VA Education benefits.
Evaluation of transcripts from any other colleges attended (including AARTS if Army, CCAF if Air Force, or
SMARTS if Navy or Marine Corps) must be made because VA requires all prior credit be evaluated and applied toward
your major at WOSC.
Therefore, it is EXTREMEMLY important for YOU to:
(1) Request official copies of all your transcripts be sent to WOSC.
(2) Request a transcript evaluation or degree check. Make this request as soon as you know all your transcripts have
received by WOSC.
(3) When you receive the results of the evaluation or degree check, it is your responsibility to take the completed
transcript evaluation to the VA Office. The VA Office can then report your prior credit to the VA Office in Muskogee.
NOTE: You will be awarded 2 hours Physical Education credit for basic training after you have completed 12 hours at WOSC.
If you request certification with prior credit pending, we will certify your enrollment with prior credit pending for one
semester. A second pending for two consecutive semesters may be allowed in the event of mitigating circumstances.
(“I forgot.” is not considered mitigating circumstances.) A second pending can only be approved by the WOSC VA Certifying
Official. However, if we do certify you with prior credit pending, know that if we certify a course or courses in which you are
currently enrolled, then, as a result of the transcript evaluation or degree check, it is established that you have already fulfilled
the requirement of any course by prior credit, you will be in an overpayment situation.
Be certain the courses in which you choose to enroll are required for your degree plan. We cannot certify you to
receive your VA education benefits for any course that does not apply to your degree!
CHANGES IN HOURS ENROLLED: It is your responsibility to immediately report all enrollment changes and schedule
changes to the WOSC VA Office. Degree applicability of all coursework must be determined prior to certification. If you add/drop
a class to your current schedule, you must fill out an “Add/Drop Form” and take it to the VA Office.
CHANGE OF MAJOR: The number of major changes is unlimited but to be certified if you change your major, you need to
request (in our Admission Office) that your prior credit be evaluated toward your new major. Then you need to fill out a
“Change of Program Form” in the VA Office. (Chapter 30,32 or 1606: form 22-1995, Chapter 35: form 2-5495)
Chapter 31: See your VA Rehab Counselor as you cannot change your major without his/her approval.
Students who enroll in classes will be responsible for the enrollment fee/tuition payment, whether they ever attend a class or not.
If students officially drop the classes by the last scheduled day to drop, they will not be charged for the classes. If students do not
drop classes by the specified deadline, they will be assessed 100% of the enrollment fee/tuition charge.
If you are enrolled at WOSC but WOSC IS NOT your Parent School (the institution where you are seeking your degree),
You must secure a Parent Letter from your Parent School in order for your enrollment at WOSC to be certified. The
Parent School Letter must contain the following:
1. Chapter under which you are eligible
2. Your declared major
3. Courses approved by that institution to be taken at WOSC
4. Whether or not you are concurrently enrolled at your Parent School
If Western Oklahoma State College IS your Parent School but you are taking courses at another institution that will transfer
to WOSC and apply to your degree, your must check with the VA Office to see that a Parent School Letter is sent to that
institution so they can certify you to receive your benefits for courses in which you are enrolled.
Western Oklahoma State College Veterans Affairs Office: (580)477-7972 FAX: (580)477-7716
VA Regional Office in Muskogee re: Educational Benefits: 1-888-442-4551 (1-888-GI Bill ® 1)
(To inquire about the status of your claim, or when you will receive your check, or to change your address and
phone numbers with VA.)
Direct Deposit: 1-877-838-2778 (To stop, start, or change your direct deposit)
Self Cert for Chapters 30 and 1606: 1-877-823-2378 (To Self Cert by phone)
GI BILL ® WEBSITE: (To Self Cert on the Web use WAVE) (To check pay rates)
Other VA Benefits: 1-800-827-1000
TRAINING TIME: Full time: 12 or more hours
3/4 time: 9 hours
1/2 time: 6 hours
1/4 time: 3 hours
Number of Weeks Per Term
Hr Per
15 to
19 14 13
12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5
3 2
12 or
11 3/4
10 3/4
9 3/4 3/4
8 1/2 3/4 3/4
7 1/2 3/4 3/4 3/4 3/4
6 1/2 1/2 1/2 3/4 3/4 3/4
5 -1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2 3/4 3/4 3/4
4 -1/2 -1/2 -1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2 3/4 3/4
3 1/4 1/4 -1/2 -1/2 -1/2 -1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2 3/4 3/4
2 1/4 1/4 1/4 1/4 1/4 1/4 -1/2 -1/2 -1/2 1/2 1/2 3/4
1 1/4 1/4 1/4 1/4 1/4 1/4 1/4 1/4 1/4 1/4 1/4 -1/2 1/2 3/4
Certificate of Eligibility: When your application for benefits is approved, the VA will mail you a letter that tells you about
your eligibility (i.e. , how many months for which you are eligible).
Deficiency Courses: Zero level courses required to satisfy curricular deficiencies and performance proficiencies.
Degree Applicable: Courses which apply toward your degree plan, including pre-requisite courses, required deficiency courses
and/or courses required to meet requirements for receiving a degree a Western Oklahoma State College.
Delimiting Date: Delimiting date is the term used for the last date you are eligible to receive VA benefits.
Chapter 30: 10 years from the date of release from active duty
Chapter 31: Usually 12 years from date of disability
Chapter 32: 10 years from date of discharge
Chapter 35: (spouse) 10 years from date of disability or death
(child) 8 years and child’s age cannot exceed 31 years
“Grad Pad”: See Rounding Out below
Overpayment Situation: An overpayment situation may occur if you withdraw from classes for which you have received
payment from the VA. It may also occur if you are being paid for Grad Pad classes but you drop a required course.
Anytime you consider dropping a course, please contact us so we can advise you as to how that will affect your pay.
Prior Credit: Courses taken at institutions prior to your attendance at WOSC as well as credit you received while in the
military must be evaluated toward fulfillment of the requirements for your degree plan. If you have prior credit for
coursework that will fulfill any of your course requirements, that prior credit must be applied toward your degree plan.
Rounding Out (GRAD PAD): Rounding out is the term used by the VA to describe the policy of allowing you to maintain
fulltime status during your last semester before graduating even if you only need one course to complete your degree.
Therefore, so long as you need at least one hour under your degree plan to graduate, and you are enrolled in that one class,
you may take additional courses, called “GRAD PAD” courses, to bring you up to full-time status. If you drop the one
course you need to graduate, you will no longer be eligible to be paid for the other classes, and therefore you may be in
an overpayment situation. You may only be paid Grad Pad one semester!
ATTENTION: CHAPTER 30, 1606, & 1607
You are now able to use two programs designed to speed processing your Monthly Verification of Enrollment.
The two new systems are: Telephone system using Interactive Voice Response (IVR).
Internet program called WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment).
How do these systems work?
IVR: To use Telephone Interactive Voice Response System, just dial 1-877-823-2378 and follow the
instructions provided.
WAVE: To use the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment system, just point your Internet
browser to our web site and follow the link to the WAVE program.
Instructions are provided on-line.

‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at"