Back to Top

Please check the COVID-19 webpage and social media for updates.

Veteran Affairs Benefits


The WOSC School Certifying Officials are here to serve as a liaison to the student veterans and other students eligible for VA Educational Benefits. If you are a new student receiving benefits for the first time, we encourage you to stop by and see us for more information about how to utilize your VA Educational Benefits at Western.


Contact information:

Deborah Wolff, Graduation Clerk/VA Specialist
(580) 477-7717 | Fax (580) 477-7723



VA Benefit Frequently Asked Questions


These are just some of the most common questions we have from students who plan to use their VA benefits at Western. This list is not all inclusive, so if you don’t see your question here, please feel free to call or email with any and all questions you may have!

I’m a new student, what do I need to do to use my VA educational benefits?

New VA students who have never applied to use their education benefits in the past will need to apply through the Department of Veterans Affairs: VA Benefits App

You may need to provide additional information or supporting documentation to the VA, such as your DD Form 214, Birth Certificate, etc.

What paperwork do I need to submit to Western to use my VA benefits?

Once you have applied for your VA education benefits, please bring, email or fax a copy of the following items to our office:

  • your VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) [National Guard/Reserve members will need to send their Notice of Benefit Eligibility, or NOBE].
  • your DD-214
  • Request for Certification form for the applicable term (fall, spring, summer). You can find this on our website. (*Note: you will need to fill out a Request for Certification form every semester you choose to use your VA educational benefits.)

What do I need to do if I have transferred in from another school?

Students who have transferred from another college or university must fill out VA Form 22-1995, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training. Download and fill out the 22-1995. Please bring, email or fax a copy of the 22-1995 to our office.

I want to take a class at another school/I would like to take a class at Western, but I’m enrolled at another school, what should I do?

Students wishing to attend classes at Western that will be applied to a degree at another institution must provide a Parent School Letter stating that the courses will be accepted at the parent institution. The same applies if you are wishing to take a class at another school while you are presently enrolled at Western. This letter must be provided before the classes can be certified with the VA.

Will I receive a book stipend? How much is it?

Yes, but only if you’re Post 9/11 (Ch. 33). The amount is prorated based on enrollment. The maximum you will receive is $1,000 per school year. This generally occurs on your first payment from the VA each semester.

How does the monthly housing allowance work; how much is it?

Post-9/11 (Ch. 33) students who attend classes greater than part-time receive Basic Allowance for Housing or BAH. The amount is determined by zip code and may change each year. BAH is paid based on the number of days the student was enrolled for the previous month, so for some months, you will only receive a partial amount.

If you attend only online classes, you will receive 50% of the national average.

What do I do if my schedule changes?

Students must inform our office when a change in your schedule occur (drop/add/withdrawal). We may place a Hold on your account to ensure we are notified of changes. Dropping/withdrawing from courses may cause you to have a debt with the VA.

For drops, it is also important to remember:

  • Chapter 33 (Post 9/11): If you dropped below full-time status or reduce your hours when less than full time for that session, you will also owe Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) money back in addition to the tuition and fees.
  • All other chapters: you will be paid by the VA up until the date you dropped the class.

I have received a bill from the school, what is this for?

If you have a received a bill from us, make sure you have certified your classes with us for that semester and turned in all document, such as your COE.  As a courtesy, Western will not drop you from classes while we wait for the payment amount we anticipate receiving from the VA, but only if you are certified.

Why have I received a letter from the VA stating tuition and fees weren’t charged to Western?

When you first certify Post-9/11 (Ch. 33) students, we initially submit only credit hours to the VA to get your monthly BAH and book stipend started. Once the add/drop dates pass, we figure the tuition and fees owed and submit an amendment to the VA.

Are there any classes the VA will not pay for?

The VA will only pay for classes that fall within your degree requirements. Classes the VA will not pay for: online remedial classes, physical education classes (unless required for the degree), or previously failed classes in which the student stopped attending class or other derogatory reason as marked by the instructor.

Where can I access my military transcripts?

Click here: JST Transcripts

I am failing a class and it’s after the drop class deadline, what should I do?

You should continue to attend the remaining classes and take the final exam even if you think you will get an “F.” In order to not be required to repay tuition to the VA, your attendance must be through the last day of the class.

Does the VA cover my enrollment fees?

The VA will cover some miscellaneous fees such as records maintenance, recreation, lab and remedial fees. The VA DOES NOT cover your admission fee, charged your first semester of attendance.


Veterans Benefits: Veterans can earn a range of benefits that help them transition back to civilian life in the country they fought to defend. Through the Veterans Benefits Administration, VA helps servicemembers transition out of military service, and assists with education, home loans, life insurance and much more.